Thyroid Treatment at GNH Hospital Gurgaon India
What is Thyroid Surgery?
Thyroid surgery is used to treat thyroid nodules, thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism. Suregry is advised in cases where medical management for the thyroid has failed. During this procedure, part or all of the thyroid gland is removed. The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located at the front of the neck.
During surgery, an incision is made in the skin. Then the muscles and other tissues are pulled aside to expose the thyroid gland.
Why is Thyroid Surgery performed?
Thyroid surgery is done in following cases:
- Thyroid cancer is present or is suspected.
- A noncancerous (benign) nodule is large enough to cause problems with breathing or swallowing.
- A fluid-filled (cystic) nodule returns after being drained once or twice.
- Hyperthyroidism which cannot be treated with medicines or radioactive iodine.
What are the types of Thyroid Surgery performed at GNH Hospital, Gurgaon India?
- Total thyroidectomy
- Thyroid lobectomy with or without an isthmectomy
- Subtotal (near-total) thyroidectomy
Thyroid surgery is generally a safe surgery. After surgery for hyperthyroidism, some people will have low calcium levels and may need to take calcium supplements.