What is Medical Termination of Preganacy?
Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP)/Abortion is a procedure that enables a woman to opt out of an unwanted pregnancy. Medical procedure for ending a pregnancy at any time before the fetus has attained the stage of viability is called Medical Termination of Pregnancy /abortion. It is not a family planning method but it is a reliable method of terminating unplanned and unwanted pregnancy. An MTP/abortion can be induced or spontaneous. A spontaneous abortion occurs when a pregnancy terminates without any medical or surgical intervention, as in the case of a miscarriage. Induced abortions involve surgical or medical procedures for termination of the pregnancy.
Is Medical Termination of Pregnancy/Abortion Legal?
Under MTP Act of 1971, any woman, married or unmarried can terminate an unwanted pregnancy through abortion. Reasons for ending pregnancies can be numerous. Some well-known reasons are:
• The continuance of pregnancy involves a risk to the life of the pregnant woman or grave injury to her physical or mental health.
• There is substantial risk that if the child would born, it would suffer from physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously challenged.
• Pregnancy occuring as a result of failure of any contraceptive device or method used by woman.
• Pregnancy occuring due to rape.
• If the pregnant woman is suffering from any kind of mental disorder or mental illeness.
Under the MTP Act, the following are strictly specified:
•Maternal/ Fetal conditions under which MTP can be done.
•Place where it can be done
•Persons who can do it