Blepharoplasty surgery at GNH Hospital Gurgaon
An eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty, is a surgical procedure to remove skin and to add or remove fat from the eyelids. The term "eyelid lift" is a misconception because the eyelid is not lifted during surgery.
Why it is done
Specifically, eyelid surgery can treat:
- Loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision.
- Excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the eyelids
- Bags under the eyes
- Drooping lower eyelids that reveal white below the iris
- Excess skin and fine wrinkles of the lower eyelid
- Upper eyelid surgery can last at least five to seven years. Lower eyelid surgery rarely needs to be repeated. Of course, your eyes will still age after the procedure.
The Eyelid Aging Process
As skin ages, it gradually loses its elasticity. A lack of elasticity plus the constant pull from gravity causes excessive skin to collect on the upper and lower eyelids.
Excess skin on the lower eyelid causes wrinkles and bulges. On the upper eyelids, an extra fold of skin can hang over the eyelashes and get in the way of seeing.
The fat that cushions the eyeball from the skull can also cause bulges in the upper and lower eyelids. The thin membrane that holds the fat in place weakens with age, letting the fat come forward into the lids.
Usually patients have a short recovery time after blepharoplasty. Although bruising and swelling is usually worse on the day after surgery, they quickly begin to disappear. During the first 48 hours the use of cool compresses can greatly reduce bruising and swelling around the eyes and face. Light activity such as walking will also help speed healing. Thin bandages are usually placed over the incision sites and removed in several days, while the stitches can remain in the skin for about a week. Sometimes self-absorbing stitches are used that do not require removal.
Most people return to normal activities after 7 to 10 days following blepharoplasty. By 2 weeks after eyelid surgery, the majority of the bruising and swelling will resolve. Outcome and prognosis usually are excellent.
Doctor at GNH Hospital for Eye Lid / Blepheroplasty Surgery
- Dr. Shilpi Bhadani, Cosmetic and Aesthetic Surgeon at GNH Hospital, Gurgaon India